Friday 22 May 2009

Practica Tangolab

I met a bailarín with a particularly elegant caminata at Peru 571, last week, a freshfaced Argentino, like an apple with a ponytail. He gave me his phone number and told me to call him if I wanted to dance with him another time. Somewhat in need of a change of scenery, I sent him a text message asking if he wanted to go out and he suggested a brand new práctica called Tangolab in Palermo. Normally, I would have gone to La Viruta for my weekly hit of rock on a Wednesday, so I had to choose between them. I never want for partners at a milonga, but prácticas are another matter. They do seem to be more partner-oriented, so I thought I would profit from this opportunity and give the new gig a try.

The venue was perfect: a huge space with tables around the outer edges, hosted by immaculate waiters serving food and drink, very high ceiling, stage lighting, glass doors and outside, a smokers’ paradise on the lawn, under parasols in a garden with an illuminated fountain, so seductive it made you want to smoke again. The sound quality was good and I thought the music well chosen, with a nice mix of styles. The crowd consisted mainly of young Argentinians and tourists, as is usually the case with prácticas. Although only in its second week, the place was packed. I imagine its reputation was assured, because it is organised by El Indio, who a well-known figure in Buenos Aires tango. The deadly smooth, stone dance floor was no deterrent to dancing, but it was a little tricky and sure as hell had me thinking about buying some nice, new dance trainers.

My partner for the evening seemed to know an awful lot of people there and it turned out he was a tango teacher with twelve years of tango behind him. I was a perfect numpty not to have considered that he might be looking for private students. I confronted him about this and he was charming and said there was no reason a tango teacher could not enjoy the pleasure of dancing with a potential student, whether or not she became one. He introduced me to his friends and we had a very sociable evening. He has even offered to help me move house and to come round and cook me a meal in my new flat, next week. I couldn’t imagine this ever happening in London.

No comments: