Monday 8 June 2009

El Indio at La Catedral

A bit dozey this evening, having had just four hours’ sleep last night, I glanced at my watch, misread the time and showed up an hour late for Tango 4 at DNI. At a loss as to what to do with myself, I headed back home and just as I was about to open the front door, thought, I wonder if there’s anything on at La Catedrál, across the road. I went over to check and sure enough, the poster on the door advertised a class that was just about to start with none other than El Indio.

I first heard mention of him in Danny Israel’s book. Since coming to Buenos Aires I have had him pointed out to me several times, most recently at Prácticalab, which he founded. As I paid my entrance, a tall, dark character with striking ‘indio’ features and a long black mane entered the building. Ladies and gentlemen, I thought, He has arrived. He is here. And by some gorgeous accident, so am I.

It was an exciting class. He draws quite a crowd. He teaches purposefully, from the essence. He knows how to communicate the elements, whilst maintaining the pace of the lesson. Musicality, technique and floorcraft were integrated into the preparatory exercises. He was demanding and the lesson was challenging, but the choreography was thrilling and included a move I haven’t seen before, a Montesino gancho. Tango flowed from him into us. I will most definitely be going back for more.

No comments: