Sunday 24 August 2008

Reach for the sky - because

Last night, my niece and I went to the cinema to see Man on Wire and were completely blown away. You need to see this film. It is a most extraordinary tale of art, passion, faith and possibility. I guarantee it will purge you of any trace of smugness or fear, for ever. Well, for at least an hour. It certainly cleared me of both in relation to carpe-ing my diem, upping sticks and prancing off to BA for six months to brush up my tango. However, if you'd like a second opinion, you could do worse than read Peter Bradshaw's article about the film in the Guardian, Friday August 1, 2008.

Philippe Petit's coup reminded me of words I'd once come across that engraved themselves on my mind, in a speech wrongly attributed to Nelson Mandela, because he had once quoted them:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light , not our darkness, that most frightens us..."


(Our Greatest Fear by Marianne Williamson from her book A Return To Love)

Is my thought for the day. Now, put that in your banned and socially unacceptable pipe and smoke it. Be inspired. And get on with your day.

No comments: