Wednesday 11 March 2009

Changes at Estudio DNI

After a whole week in Buenos Aires, I decided it was time to start taking lessons again: lessons to improve my dancing as well as lessons to learn to lead. I dream of being able to dance with a partner and being able to switch roles - just like that - as and when we feel like.

There have been a fair few changes at DNI in my absence. They have now got a second site in Bulnes and are putting on additional classes including ballet and folklore. They have, at last, installed an overhead fan in the main studio in Corrientes – hooray! (My main reason for leaving Buenos Aires in November, instead of staying for six months, was how hot I used to get in their dance classes.) Classes have gone up in price by a third, like so many other tango places, but they are still excellent value for money at 130 pesos for 10 classes, each an hour and a half long and packed with tuition on technique. When I left in November, Jonny and Johanna were students at DNI. Now they are teachers, and very fine too, of Tango Level 1. I shall be attending at least once a week, to learn to lead. I have two members of the band Sexteto Milonguero, one of the most famous tango bands, in my dance class. That is so cool.

No comments: