Thursday 5 March 2009

Peru 571

Ah, my favourite! I was there both yesterday and the day before. Yesterday it was the Maldita Milonga with the rumbustious El Afronte band and the day before, it was Tango Queer.

The Maldita rocks. I raved about it on my previous trip and now, it is better than ever. The band was full on and the place was heaving, when I arrived at 23:00 to join a tanguero I met at Gricel. It wasn’t easy to spot José. The dance floor was chocker with slick movers, yet there didn’t appear to be a spare chair in sight. Within minutes of my arrival, the floor cleared and we were treated to an aesthetically thrilling performance. José showed up and we managed to find a chair to share. He is a swordsman and martial artist (taekwondo), who has been dancing for two years. Predictably, his lead was confident, smooth and elegant. He paused. And not just to Pugliese. I like. So many invitations to play…

Tango Queer is not such a different kettle of fish other than that gender is irrelevant in terms of who leads. However, as a matter of interest, there were loads of women and about two men there to start with and fifteen men by the end of the pre-milonga lesson. In spite of the large number of participants, the class was excellent and many of the women were sublime leaders. My first partner was Rosaline from Lancaster, who had something of the air of a headteacher about her, but turned out to be an earthy sort of woman with a deliciously mischievous sense of humour. An experienced ballroom dancer, herself, she was kind enough to let me lead her and I have to confess I made a pig’s ear of it. When she tried to lead me, I was reminded of a limerick about a young lady from Frome, which I can't quite recall other than the last line, which ran 'As to which would do what and to whom.'

Jeff showed up a little bit later and each of us led and followed the other. I felt very lucky to have him. He has a beautiful embrace: tender, yet firm, sensuous, yet not intrusive. I just love the feeling of having my hair touched and he unclipped and loosened my hair about my shoulders every time we danced. It was a very satisfying evening for me, not least because he was able to correct me and teach me, being an ace dancer himself.

So many good nights…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leading is hard :)