Tuesday 16 September 2008

Stock-taking

I am taking stock of the new things I've learned in my first week here.

Firstly, I have discovered how to warm the body up properly for tango. Most of the warm-ups in the London classes I've been to, do not limber up the body for all the tortions involved in tango. The warm up here really and truly addresses those tango needs.

Secondly, I am beginning to be serious about the three most important things in tango: technique, technique, technique. I am increasing my awareness of the individual functions of my toes, heels, knees and hips in taking a step, forwards, backwards and sideways. Let me give you an example of what I've learned about taking an elegant step forwards:

Flex the weight-bearing leg, drop the hip of the stepping leg, then lift the knee, begin to trace forward with the toe but continue the projection leading with the heel, the toes flexed back – six steps before even beginning to shift the body weight through the middle to the front, (a stage during which both knees are flexed,) lowering the rest of the forward foot to the ground incrementally, whilst straightening the back leg.

Hips, knees and heels are new friends and I am looking forward to getting to know them better. I don't think I was even aware of the need to drop the hip in taking a step backwards, nor that there is a stage during the step back during which both knees are flexed. Nor of the importance of dropping the hip in performing a giro, to give it stability. I was aware of the cork screw nature of a pivot, but I never had anyone actually hold onto my rib cage and open it outwards, so that I could feel the difference between disassociating the different parts of my torso and moving it as a block. There were, of course, classes in London, where there was a lot of one-to-one input, but there does seem to be more hands-on teaching in BsAs and both men and women get to dance in the teacher's embrace with regular frequency, which is extremely enabling.

Thirdly, I have learned some exciting, new, tango flummery, but that will serve me only when I am dancing with partners who are able to lead these moves.

However, if I am to make the most of my time here, I shall have to do regular practise by myself, just like anyone learning anything, anywhere.

No comments: