Sunday 12 October 2008

Sex in the City - Not

I caught myself feeling bored at a milonga for the first time ever, last night. I was sitting at a table with CFBS and his friends, a situation devoutly to be wished, you would have thought. We'd been to milongas together, but this was our second time sitting together. The first time, it had been electric. Romantic to be kissed by him after every dance, on the cheek or the forehead, with lots of little kisses, the way you'd kiss a baby. But then he went too quickly, said too much, too soon and once it's out, it can't be unsaid and that is soooo exhasparating. CFBS is gorgeous as a moviestar, can dance, is intelligent and amusing, we have chemistry, but skipping straight to the after party? Why? What about the game? The conversation we had is only possible in Spanish:

"Why not?"

“Because I'm far too British. For me, this is like a game of chess and I'm not sure I'm ready to lose my queen.”

“I'm not sure I want to lose my tower. And I definitely don't want to lose my horse.”

He's quick, that one. So, we sat for a bit, looking straight ahead and I realised I'd done it again, most likely, killed off a favourite. First the demon dancer, now him. Groundhog day. He's gone to Cordoba for a week. He asked me to mail him, but that's like torturing the tea bag after the water's turned cold. I don't think I will. If he's my horse, he´ll gallop back to me.

I remember having a conversation with my previous landlady about the demon dancer and she said, “But that's how it works, here. Argentine men like their women. There's nothing unusual about expecting to go to bed the day you meet.” “Hello I like you I'd like to know you better you can have my number I want you do you want to come back to my place” is not that unusual an opening gambit. This is true and I am definitely not showing off.

Another time, I told her about how embarrassed I felt on a collectivo when I was groping for my bus fare and a condom fell out of my purse. I only carry one because.

“Oh, there was no need to feel embarrassed,” she said, “ they've probably never seen one before - Argentinos don't know what condoms are...”

Well, there's always a first time. Standing in a queue, waiting to get into a concert, I heard someone say: “Well, this is Buenos Aires, where half the population is crazy and the other half are psychologists.” But which half? I've noticed a lot of the psychologists I've met have been women... er, that's all I have to say on that subject.

He just phoned. He's already reached “I love you” and we both know what he's up to, but his voice is like cognac and he has me giggling like a schoolgirl. I'm afraid we're both running out of moves and my queen is in jeopardy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hello I like you I'd like to know you better you can have my number I want you do you want to come back to my place" - all in one breath?

Astonishing... :)